Select a book ( from provide book list) to read that is written by or about someone who has been diagnosed with a serious physical illness or disability. Then write a scholarly paper that includes:
1) An introduction that indicates what the topic is and the purpose or goals of the paper. The purpose must be stated clearly as in “The purpose of this paper is to…”
2) Information about the illness or disability that includes:
a. Medical aspects (description, diagnostic procedures, treatment options, side effects of treatment, prognosis (anticipated course of the treated disease), etc.
b. Psychological aspects
c. Social/economic aspects
Information can be obtained from credible websites such as the National Cancer Institute, American Diabetes Association, National Stroke Association, ALS Association, etc.; however, do not just “cut and paste” from websites.
3) A review (analysis, assessment, evaluation, synthesis) of a minimum of five articles from the academic literature that describes evidence based psychosocial interventions by social work or other health care providers with patients, families or significant others who have experienced the same or similar illness or disability. These articles may be cited elsewhere in the paper or may be in addition to other references used.
Include a description of how the literature search was conducted, e.g. data bases searched, inclusion/exclusion criteria for selecting articles, search words used, etc
4) A brief summary of the book selected to establish the context for the discussion of your analysis of the impact of illness and coping skills (see #s 4 and 5 below.)
5) An analysis of the impact of the illness on the person about whom the book is written and his/her family or significant others. Think of this person and his/her family or significant others as a case study.
6) An evaluation of coping skills used by the patient, family, and significant others (e.g. what coping skills were used and how effectively they were used); and
7) Implications for social work practice.
8) A summary and conclusion that tie into the introduction.
The paper should be approximately 10 pages, double-spaced, APA style.